Raising Awareness of Dementia
The Team are spending today [Sun 20th Aug 2017] on Roseberry Topping, working with the Alzheimer’s Society to help raise awareness of dementia and to show the public what we do to support dementia sufferers and their carers.
Members for the team will be available during the day in the car park at Newton Under Roseberry for more information. Team members and supports will be working in relay to walk to the summit and back as many times as possible during the day.
The Team assists the Police in helping to search for vulnerable people at risk in the community. One group we regularly come into contact with are dementia sufferers and their carers. To help us do this better, we invited the Alzheimer’s Society to come and run their highly regarded Dementia Friends information session at our Wednesday night training. The session was both informative and entertaining – it’s available free to any member of the community with an interest in dementia. Just visit www.dementiafriends.org.uk for details of courses near you.
Are available throughout the day on the team Facebook page. Click here for more information
In the news
- 22 people took part, of whom 20 walked the hill at some point.
- There were 11 Team Members, 4 Support Team Members and 5 families and friends.
- We did 11 journeys, a total of 42 ascents.
- We walked a minimum of 126km.
- A minimum climb of 7,098m.
We were there to raise awareness of dementia, and to tell the public about the work of the Alzheimers Society. In that respect, we had conversations with well over 1000 people.
As a Memory Walk, we asked the public to donate to the work of the Society. We raised £102.65 to give to the Alzheimers Society, separate from any money we were given as donations direct to the Team.
In terms of raising awareness about dementia, the role of the Alzheimers Society and the work the Team does in support of dementia sufferers and their carers, we achieved the following:
- A minimum of five newspaper articles mentioning the Team, the Society and dementia.
- Two radio interviews, Radio Tees on Saturday and Radio York on Sunday.
- Two television appearances, teatime and mid evening on Sunday.
Events so far…
Team being filmed for the local news!